2021 Drivers Education: Students that are 14 years old by January 13, 2021 can register for the 2021 classroom sessions. This will prepare them to take their written test for the learner's (drivers) permit.
Students that have turned 15 years old, have their learner's permit and have not yet registered for Behind the Wheel can register for the 2021 Behind the Wheel sessions. If you were registered for the 2020 sessions, but we did not get to you - there is NO NEED to re-register.
Please see the Parent/Student letter in the link above with the calendar dates for our 2021 classroom sessions and information about this year's program.
Parents please click on the Drivers Ed Registration Form button below to complete your son/daughter's registration form for the 2021 classroom and Behind the Wheel sessions. Please complete the registration form by Monday, January 4.
Questions? Email the instructor at email@example.com or call/text 218.686.4829
RLF School is still working to serve students in Drivers Education. We do have some limitations to follow for pandemic safety - and we do follow the school's protocols, such as when the high school goes to distance learning, Behind the Wheel gets put on hold.
Here are some things to know as you move forward:
1. Need to take your WRITTEN or PERMIT / knowledge test?
You can schedule to go to an open EXAM STATION (currently our closest are Bemidji, Detroit Lakes and Moorhead). You schedule your in person test HERE.
**NEW** You can now take your written / permit / knowledge test at HOME!! Here are a few things to know:
* Your parent / guardian that has a valid drivers license has to be willing to proctor this test for you.
* You register to do this - no earlier than the day of your birthday - they send you a link that day. Click HERE to register to do this.
* You get 30 minutes to complete the test.
* If you don't pass, you can take it again the next day.
* If you don't pass it again, you will have to go to an exam station to take it again.
* Once you pass it, you need to take that documentation to the Drivers License Office at the courthouse in RLF and apply for your permit. They are open from 9-5 Monday-Friday. You need to bring your BLUE card, your social security number, IDs and a parent/guardian. If you get a confirmation letter from the online test - print & bring that with you, as well.
* As soon as you get your permit, email your instructor to get on the Behind the Wheel schedule. firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Have your permit & need to complete Behind the Wheel?
* Let the instructor know you have your permit & are ready to do your 6 hours - email@example.com
* You will receive an email inviting you to choose 3 appointment times (2 hours each).
* Due to pandemic safety precautions, each student will have their own driving time. In the past we had gone with a driving partner. This is not happening this year.
* You will be expected to wear a mask during your drive time. You will be asked to complete your COVID waiver. Hand sanitizer will be available at all times. A health check will be completed each day we drive. And last but most important, the instructor will clean the vehicle in between each student.
3. Need to take your ROAD TEST?
* You need to be at least 16, have had your permit for 6 months, and completed Behind the Wheel.
* You can schedule to go to an open EXAM STATION (currently our closest are Bemidji & Detroit Lakes). You schedule your ROAD test HERE. You will need your permit number off of your permit card to schedule this.
* You will need your WHITE card, your ID, a vehicle and parent/guardian.
4. Need to get your FARM PERMIT?
You CANNOT schedule this online. You need to call the State Driver Vehicle Services office at 651-284-1234 and they can assist you with scheduling this.
5. Are you (or your daughter / son) turning 14 soon? Are you looking forward to getting your permit?
Then you need to take our classroom sessions. These are 30 hours & are typically hosted in the winter, with 10 sessions of 3 hours each. The instructor is working on the schedule for these classes & they will be similar to what the school is doing at the time. They might be virtual, they might be in person - or a combination of both.
6. Are you a parent and looking to take the Parent Session?
In spring 2020, this was cancelled due to COVID. We will be hosting one in the winter of 2020-21. Any parent that had a student enrolled in 2020 at any time is welcome to participate in this session. Depending upon the state of school at the time, may be virtual or may be in person.
7. Have another specific question? Please email the instructor below & ask!
RLF Drivers Ed Instructor